Abducted BGB officer returning home after 8 days

Abducted Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) officer Abdul Razzak was handed over to a team, led by 42 BGB Battalion Commanding Officer Lt Col Abu Jar Al Zahid on June 25, at about 5;30 pm, after a five-hour-long flag meeting between the two neighboring countries –Burma and Bangladesh- forces in Maungdaw, Arakan State, Burma, according to BGB Cox’s Bazar Sector Deputy Commander Major Aminul Islam press briefing.

Maj Md Shah Alam, the medical officer in the team, checked officer Razzak’s physical and mental conditions after he was handed over and certified that everything was fine, Major Islam said.

After that the seven-member BGB team that went to Burma earlier in the morning to negotiate officer Razzak’s release started for Bangladesh and arrived at the Teknaf Land Port’s immigration check post around 6:15pm, Major Islam more added.

“I am well,” officer Razzak told journalists on his arrival at the transit jetty at Teknaf land port and also said he suffered nose injuries while scuffling with BGP troopers who attacked the six-member team he was leading while searching a fishing boat, but, he was silent when asked whether the BGP personnel had tortured him.

Officer Razzak was abducted by Burma Border Guard Police (BGP) following a shootout on the Naf River near Dum Dum Meah area of Teknaf in Cox’s Bazar on Jun 17 between border patrols of the two countries and another BGB soldier was shot in the incident caused by what the Bangladesh government says it was a ‘misunderstanding’.

The flag meeting to negotiate Razzak’s release started at Maungdaw Dewa Nandi Hall around 10:30am.

Teknaf 42 BGB Commander Lt Col Md Abu Jar Al Jahid led the Bangladesh side, while BGP-2 Lt Col Thi Ha headed the Burmese team.

The BGB in a media statement said Burma also returned Razzak’s submachine gun, magazine and ammunition.

The two sides discussed ways to avoid such ‘untoward’ incidents.

BGP at the flag meeting claimed officer Razzak was not in uniform when they detained him for crossing over to Burmese waters on that day, BGB Director General Aziz Ahmed told a press conference at its Pilkhana headquarters in Dhaka.

“We strongly protested their claims and told them that no BGB member goes on duty without being in uniform. And Razzak did not cross the border on that day,” he said. “It was the BGP personnel who were not in uniform.”
BGB asked Burma border guard police to honor the agreement signed between the neighboring countries in 1980 to prevent such incident from happening again, BGB Director General Aziz Ahmed said.

“From now on, BGB and BGP will share information and notify each other beforehand if the border needs to be crossed.”

“Moreover, just a year ago, the BGP members did the same thing after we had set up a BOP [border outpost] after identifying an area as smuggling-prone and took necessary actions.”

On May 28, 2014, another BGB officer Mizanur Rahman was allegedly abducted and killed by the Burmese frontier force near the Paanchhari border in Naikkhongchhari of Bandarban. Two days later, the BGP was supposed to return Mizanur’s body to the BGB. But, when the Bangladeshi border guards went to receive the body, the BGP men opened fire on them instead of handing over the body.

The Burmese authorities abolished its Nasaka (Border security force) in July 2013 and deployed the Border Guard Police (BGP).

Leave a Reply